Friday, December 28, 2007

::THE YEAR IN MUSIC: 2007::

The year of 2007 is nearing an end, and it's about time that I (and nearly every other music writer) choose their "top tens": top ten favorite albums, top ten favorite songs, top ten bands (that may or may not have had a release in 2007), etc. Well, I'm here to choose my top ten favorite albums and the top ten biggest disappointments.

::ALBUMS::

Photobucket


1. Motion City Soundtrack, Even If It Kills Me

This album found its way into the number one spot with relative ease. As a follow up to 2005's breakout album Commit This to Memory, I was a bit nervous for the new release. I kept thinking to myself, "It'll be good...it'll be good..." for weeks, but until I finally heard the finished product, I still remained in that state of tension. The album was finally made available for full listen on MySpace prior to release, and I could finally rest easy. The two singles that had been available for weeks prior to release were good, but it was nice to hear that the rest of the album was just as great. Even If It Kills Me is solid release and a must have for any Motion City Soundtrack fan (or any fan of music in general, for that matter).


Photobucket


2. Jimmy Eat World, Chase This Light

I think I can speak for the entire Jimmy Eat World fanbase when I say: about time. The most recent release prior to this was Futures in 2004, and come summer 2007, everyone was ready for whatever Jimmy Eat World was taking so long to record. I also think I can speak for the entire Jimmy Eat World fanbase when I say this: whew. In years past, one thing that I've noticed is that when a band takes a long time to record an album, it either ends up being one of two things: utterly great, or completely forgettable. Thank goodness it was the first of those options this time.


Photobucket


3. Foo Fighters, Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace

Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters have been around for about as long as I can remember liking music...and probably even before that. The band has won numerous Grammy Awards, an MTV Music Video Award, and has had their hit singles almost worn out on local radio stations everywhere. Why would I be so cliché to put such a huge band on my top ten? Simply put, this albums rocks. From the first moments of the very Foo-sounding single ("The Pretender") until the last notes struck on the piano laden "Home", this album packs everything from rock to folk into one cohesive sound.


Photobucket


4. Relient K, Five Score and Seven Years Ago

In a similar situation as Motion City Soundtrack, Relient K's 2007 release was a follow up to a breakout album, and also like Motion City Soundtrack, these boys from Canton, Ohio put all their chips on the table and it paid off. The album, ranging from quite possibly the feel-good anthem of the year ("Must Have Done Something Right") to the story-telling nature of "Deathbed", seems to fill every hole and find every missing link that plagues so many releases of today. A very good album and definitely a very good addition to any musical collection.


Photobucket


5. Thrice, The Alchemy Index: Vol. I & II

Thrice, one of my longtime favorite bands of the post-hardcore genre, tried something new for their most recent releases. They decided to record 4 EP's (each with 6 songs) to capture each of the four elements in a musical form. When I heard this release, I was intrigued. I wasn't sure what Fire or Water would sound like, musically...but after hearing the album, I now have a better understanding. With Vol. III & IV (Earth and Wind) still on the way, Fire and Water have set the stage very well for the upcoming release, and I recommend this album to anyone.


Photobucket


6. Cartel, Cartel

This Georgia based pop-punk quintet made Alternative Press's list of "Bands You Need to Know" in 2005 (thanks to success of their debut LP, Chroma), won Yahoo! Music's "Who's Next" competition in March 2006 and was also named a Breaker Artist by AOL music. Needless to say, the expectations were high for the band (in regards to their 2007 release). As part of the US version of "Band in a Bubble", Cartel went into a studio with 23 24-hour video cameras showing the general public the progress of the album every step of the way. When the album was finished, the band was to perform the album, in its entirety, on a live stage. The musicianship and heart put into this album, even while under great scrutiny (especially under great scrutiny) makes this album one of my top ten albums of the year.


theused


7. The Used, Lies for the Liars

The third album for the Salt Lake City area "screamo" act The Used, Lies for the Liars experiments with a new sound (a full horn section appearing on a few tracks). Any time a band decides to change up their sound, even in the slightest bit, it's always a gamble, and this time, it paid off. The sound was a fresh one for The Used, and a much needed boost for the band. The album took the longest to record of any of The Used's releases (it took 6 months), and was received with mixed reviews. Though the album itself may have gotten 2 stars on one review and 4 on another, the album still packed enough punch to make it onto my list.


Photobucket


8. Paramore, Riot!

If you've been following the top ten picks by notable musicians on MySpace, you'll notice one thing: Paramore must have done something really well, earning a spot on multiple lists. Well, I'm here to tell you this: that notion is completely true. Riot! is packed with intensity (best characterized by songs such as "For a Pessimist, I'm Pretty Optimistic" or "Misery Business"), but also slows it down a bit with songs such as "When it Rains" and "We Are Broken". The variety found in this album, as well as the musicianship and stellar vocals from frontwoman Hayley Williams make this album one to remember.


Photobucket


9. Sherwood, A Different Light

The breakout album for California's premier "feel-good dance rock" quintet came in the form of the 2007 release A Different Light. No, I'm not talking about the quintessentially 80's Bangles' album. I'm talking about a strictly pop record, full of catchy hooks and utterly danceable beats. From the first listen, you will fall in love with this record. I mean, seriously, what's not to love about a band that specializes in "feel-good dance rock"? The album is a solid release, and I look forward to what's in store for this band.


Photobucket


10. Dear and the Headlights, Small Steps, Heavy Hooves

I'm not entirely sure how I came to hear about Dear and the Headlights, but no matter how I stumbled across this album, I'm thankful it happened. Emerging as one of the more promising indie rockers of the year, Small Steps, Heavy Hooves features a heavily acoustic drive as well as an appeal to lyric lovers everywhere. Highlighted by lead singer Ian Metzger's wonderfully howling vocals, this Phoenix based band is onto something big...and Small Steps, Heavy Hooves is just the start of it. Keep an eye on these guys.


::TOP TEN DISAPPOINTMENTS::

In order, I have listed out the top ten disappointments of 2007. Whether their previous album was just too good to top, their sound change left all of us wondering what exactly they were trying to accomplish, or the hype preceding the album was about the best thing about it, these albums failed to captivate me. Yes, there are some great songs featured on these albums, but as a whole, the album just failed to impress.

1. Rilo Kiley, Under the Blacklight
2. Straylight Run, The Needles The Space
3. Kanye West, Graduation
4. Mae, Singularity
5. Jay-Z, American Gangster
6. The Ataris, Welcome the Night
7. Angels & Airwaves, I-Empire
8. The Academy Is..., Santi
9. Daphne Loves Derby, Good Night, Witness Light
10. Radiohead, In Rainbows

1 comment:

Rachel Eve said...

You are a musical encycolpedia!

I love Daphne Loves Derby!

This post is amazing.