Sunday, November 11, 2007

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

::COPELAND::


I'm going to try something I haven't done on this blog before...I'm going to compare two albums. I am going to take two tracks, "choose a favorite" (for lack of a better term), and then from that, decide which album I like better. Copeland is a tough band to do this with, as I love nearly everything by them, but, well, here it goes. I'll be taking their debut CD, Beneath Medicine Tree and their 2006 release, Eat, Sleep, Repeat...which worked out nicely, since both albums have 11 tracks.

1. "Brightest" vs. "Where's My Head"
Ah, the album openers. "Brightest" is as good a Copeland album opener as there is: soft, lullaby-esque, and piano driven. The peak of the lyrics come at the end of the chorus: "I just know that she warms my heart/And knows what all my imperfections are/And she said that I was the brightest little firefly in her jar". "Where's My Head" is an almost Radiohead sounding song, featuring eerie melodies and interestingly placed drum fills. The lyrics, fitting with the overall sound of the song, drill the line "Where's my head?" about five times in the chorus, with other lines that seem to have no relevance to the idea of the song ("'Cause I just want to eat some more chocolate and go straight back/I'll go straight back to bed"). The song itself is a good tune, but I have to give this contest to "Brightest".


Score: Beneath Medicine Tree: 1; Eat, Sleep Repeat: 0


2. "Testing the Strong Ones" vs. "Eat, Sleep, Repeat"


The next songs were tough to judge, as they both have very different sounds...but here it goes. "Testing the Strong Ones" is a great track, with as touching a message as ever. The lyrics hit close to home, with lines such as "Its testing the strong ones/Scarring the beautiful ones/It's holding the loved ones/One last time". The song has a driving chorus, where (at about 2:20) is where the song peaks. The dissonance/resolutions of the guitars in this instance seem to stay with the theme of the song, making this song as powerful as any. "Eat, Sleep, Repeat" is a wonderfully written song about the nature of love. Lyrics such as "It occurred to me at once/That love could be a great illusion/That makes fools of brilliant thinkers everyday" and "It occurred to me at once/That love gets everything it asks for/Like a young girl picking flowers in the lawn/She gets every kiss and tear/She gets every smile and fear, but still/She never finds the last of them is gone, oh/She never finds the last of them is gone", coupled with brilliant instrumentation make this song a keeper. That's right, this one goes to the latter.


Score: Beneath Medicine Tree: 1; Eat, Sleep Repeat: 1


3. "Priceless" vs. "Control Freak"


These two songs, though more alike than the last two, are just as hard to compare. "Priceless" has always been one of my favorite Copeland songs, but "Control Freak" is equally as quality of a track. "Priceless" boasts more powerful lyrics, with the chorus sweetly singing "All of the world/And all of it's power/Couldn't keep your love from me, no/Couldn't keep your love from me/'Cause I need you like the dragonfly's wings need the wind/Like the orphan needs home once again/Like heaven needs more to come in/I need you here like you've always been". The track also features a tender intro/outro with a swelling, ethereal chorus, typical of many Copeland songs. "Control Freak", the single from the 2006 release, is almost in the same vein as "Where's My Head". The lyrics seem to give a sense of helplessness ("I could run like a coward for the door/But I'll never get out...you're freaking me out") that, though it portrays the idea well, can't compare to the hopeful message of the previous song. "Priceless" wins this round.


Score: Beneath Medicine Tree: 2; Eat, Sleep Repeat: 1


4. "Take Care" vs. "Careful Now"


"Take Care" was the first Copeland song I had ever heard, and I heard it on a Take Action! compilation. This was the song that initially got me hooked on Copeland. As is the case with most of the lyrics on Beneath Medicine Tree, the honesty found within the lyrics is what makes the song memorable ("Let me draw the blinds for you/You can watch the sunset from/The bed in your hospital room/Until you're sleeping/I'm sure/I don't understand how I found a love so pure"). "Careful Now", also fitting the type set by the preceding tracks on Eat, Sleep, Repeat, seems to give a sense of uncertainty and loneliness. Looking at the lyrics, "And I can't help but get lost in a fault like this/When I don't know how to hide myself in open air/Where I'm all alone, alone, alone", it is apparent that our beloved Aaron Marsh was in a confusing spot when this record was written. In this case, nostalgia prevails, and "Take Care" takes the cake.


Score: Beneath Medicine Tree: 3; Eat, Sleep Repeat: 1


5. "When Paula Sparks" vs. "Love Affair"


"When Paula Sparks" starts off with a soft, resonant guitar, when the drums and bass enter, still maintaining that hushed sound. The lyrics, still wonderfully describing that same sense of love found on other tracks, are just as good as any other track on the album. The same idea of a quiet beginning/ending with a swelling chorus is recurrent in this track as well, and though the track is a good song...a little variety would be welcomed. "Love Affair", one of the most brilliantly written tracks on the record, begins with a fantastic piano intro, then launches into the verse with powerful lyrics ("'Cause love took her hand like a thief/Took her heart like a robber/And the feelings that scare her/Become her relief"). The chorus, the highlight of the song, croons "Just let me run where I want to runJust let me love who I want/Just let me run where I want to run/Just let me love who I want"). During a jazzy, almost lounge feeling breakdown/outro, the song ends with closing lines "There are no rules for this love/Just keep your head and don't give up/Like all the fools who play it smart/Lose your head just for your heart, just for your heart"...which perfectly sums up the song. This may go without saying...but "Love Affair" stole my heart this time.


Score: Beneath Medicine Tree: 3; Eat, Sleep Repeat: 2


6. "California" vs. "I'm Safer on an Airplane"


"California", speaking of a hopeful longing for a friend who moved away, is one of the most hopeful, honest tracks on the album. Lines such as "I miss the way you sing low/So I can't hear your voice over/The radio in my car/But you know every word they say/You knew you just the right thing to say, well/Distance ripped us farther and farther and farther away/I'll see you soon" and "I'll see you soon/If you'll come back here/I'll see you soon/Just say that you want to see me too" sung over a warm string part (that launches into a powerfully rocking instrumental outro) make this song worth a second (or third) listen. "I'm Safer on an Airplane", a heavily synthesized track, written over a light synth drum beat, seems to stay in one place. The song itself doesn't seem to build on itself the way most Copeland songs do. Thus, "California" gets the win this time.


Score: Beneath Medicine Tree: 4; Eat, Sleep Repeat: 2


7. "She Changes Your Mind" vs. "By My Side"


The first track, an upbeat, explosion of introspective alternative rock, leaves no room for question. The fuzzy guitars, the swell to the chorus, everything about the song just seems to click. The lyrics, still themed along with the longing idea ("It was your hello that kept me hanging on every word/And your goodbye that keeps me listening for your voice around each corner"), show the lyrical capabilities of Marsh, and take you to another place, as if you were experiencing the events described. "By My Side" begins with the soft voice of Marsh and impeccable musicianship backing him up. He then begs in the chorus, "I need you to tell me you'll be right by my side/When I feel alone, you'll be right by my side, oh", and he does it ever-so-convincingly. It was a tough call, but "By My Side" gets my vote.


Score: Beneath Medicine Tree: 4; Eat, Sleep Repeat: 3


8. "There Cannot Be a Close Second" vs. "Cover What You Can"


"There Cannot Be a Close Second", brilliantly portrays the overall theme found on Beneath Medicine Tree. The pleading truthfulness of the lyrics ("So forgive me/Cause I don't know what to do/When you look at me/There can be no hesitationThere cannot be a close second to you") and the contrasting dynamics of the song make this track one of the album highlights. "Cover What You Can", a short, almost interlude sounding track, though it features good instrumentation, lacks the punch that is found in "There Cannot Be a Close Second", which comes out ahead.


Score: Beneath Medicine Tree: 5; Eat, Sleep Repeat: 3


9. "Coffee" vs. "The Last Time He Saw Dorie"


Here we find Copeland slowing things down with the lounging feel of "Coffee", which, musically, seems to fittingly be begging to be put onto a coffee shop soundtrack. Though I am generally a fan of the slower, laid back pieces, that's not what sold me on this song. The lyrical content of the song is just as great. With the beautifully worded lines "There's a love that transcends/All that we've known of ourselves/And I'll wait for it to come/I'll wait for it to come/Well it's got to be strong to touch my heart/Through its shell/And I'll wait for it to come/I'll wait for it to come", it's hard to not fall in love with this song. "The Last Time He Saw Dorie" is a slow, mellow tune, and though the song isn't exactly the most musically exciting song, the lyrical abilities of Aaron Marsh once again make themselves evident ("Live, live, live because you/Love, love, love and love will make you/Give, give, give and give in when you/Break, break, break but you just want to/Fix yourself just to break again..."). Though the latter track put up a good fight with the cleverly worded verse, "Coffee" tallies up another victory for Beneath Medicine Tree.


Score: Beneath Medicine Tree: 6; Eat, Sleep Repeat: 3


10. "Walking Downtown" vs. "I'm a Sucker For a Kind Word"


"Walking Downtown", the single for the album, is one of the most rocking Copeland songs I think I've ever heard. The song itself is good, but the lyrics seem to be a little lacking, with the repeat of the chorus ("We were walking downtown ,yeah/My favorite part of town") far too often. "I'm a Sucker For a Kind Word", on the other hand, is a delightfully free track, a song that when listened to, will elminate all cares of the world, if you'll let it. The song, (imagine with me) should be listened to in a large field, mid-summer, perhaps lying on a blanket, wearing all white...just taking in life. Though the lyrics don't seem to portray quite what I've described ("'Cause my mind just can't stop movin'/And I think I know why/Ooh, I know why/It's sad/But I'm a sucker for a kind word/And I'll just hurt until I find one"), this song still (figuratively) takes me back to the peace-loving, hippie era of the 1970's...and wins.


Score: Beneath Medicine Tree: 6; Eat, Sleep Repeat: 4


11. "When Finally Set Free" vs. "When You Thought You'd Never Stand Out"


"When Finally Set Free", the closing track for Beneath Medicine Tree, does just what it suggests: it sets you free. The musicality of the song seems to take you on a journey, with well-written guitar hooks and well-versed lyrics. The song seems to offer an invitation to self understanding ("Feel the pain, teaching us how much more we can take/Reminding us how far we've come/Let the pain burn away from our hearts/We have time to start all over again"), then closes with the sincere lines "Well, if you would shine your love down here, oh/Make our hearts as perfect as new/Oh, if you would shine your love down here, oh/I promise I'll reflect it right back at you". "When You Thought You'd Never Stand Out" is one of my favorite tracks from Eat, Sleep, Repeat. The fullness of the instrumentation, the accompanying female vocals, everything...it just seems to come together to kind of encompass all that the album is about. This decision wasn't that hard, and even though "When Finally Set Free" is a great song, it can't stand up to "When You Thought You'd Never Stand Out".


Score: Beneath Medicine Tree: 6; Eat, Sleep Repeat: 5


And there we have it. Beneath Medicine Tree beat out Eat, Sleep, Repeat in the point count, but it's almost impossible to base an opinion solely off this. I love both albums, and I suggest that if you don't have anything by Copeland, you have been missing out greatly.

1 comment:

lauren said...

trevor,

why are you such a blogging champion?

you put the rest of us to shame.

the way you describe music makes it alive. like... i donno how to say this without sounding dumb, but the way you put words together does the music justice.

it's quality.

also, i like your scoring system... like how instead of giving each song a score out of 5 or something, you do a head-to-head battle of the songs!

it's excellent.


:]