Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

::THE SPILL CANVAS::


I have started to get into The Spill Canvas more and more as time has passed. At first, and I don't know why, but I gave them a listen, then kind of put them on the backburner for a while. Recently, their 2005 release One Fell Swoop has made its way into my car stereo...and stayed there. The musical compositions are good...very good...on every release, but it's the lyrics that keep me coming back. Doused with a coat of "emo" Armor All, the lyrics, penned by frontman Nick Thomas, seem to break the cliché of most artists thrown into the crowded genre of "emo".

From their first record, Sunsets and Car Crashes, released in 2004, to their most recent album, No Really, I'm Fine, released just over a month ago (October 2nd, 2007), it's apparent that these 4 guys are onto something big. One of the things about this band that keeps them coming back into my regimen of music is their variety of style. Take songs such as their first (and quite possibly most) popular song, "The Tide", an acoustic song heavily laden with catchy hooks and powerful lyrics, 2005's "Secret Oath", a seemingly pop rock approach to an indie/country sound, and a tune from their most recent work, "Reckless Abandonment", an upbeat, intense explosion of straight alternative rock, and try to compare them...it's not that easy. Though there may be mixed opinions on this band, I assure you, this is one band you won't want to throw on the backburner, as I did.

No comments: